Search This Blog

Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Henwood Village in Cornwall, England


A Steve Henwood in Australia contacted a Steve Henwood in the states to say that our Henwoods may have come from the village of Henwood in Cornwall, England. He had visited this village. His relatives were miners and coach painters there. They immigrated to Australia in the 1850's and kept up coach painting and then later joined the railways. He lives with his wife and 2 children in the town of McLaren Vale, south of the cith of Adelaide in South Australia. He is an aircraft engineer.

So far I haven't found any connection to this line. It is interesting that there is a village by the same name. I have just found the village of Henwood, Cornwall, England. I'll include the map where the red light globe A figure is pointing to the spot.
PS:9/10/09 A Charles Henwood just contacted me to tell me exactly where Henwood Village is:
Henwood is about 4 miles north of Liskeard just off the Liskeard-Launceston road(B 3254). It is in the parish of Linkinhorne.

I do know that Charles Ernest traveled and lived in Australia for some time. He was also in New Zealand. That's where he married Queenie Dorothy Travissick nee Disney.

2 comments:

  1. My grandfather came to the states in the late 1800's. His name was Joseph Henwood. He was a coal Mining Supervisor. He worked the mines in British Columbia during my fathers birth there which was 1906.Would love to know any of his relatives in England

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will find satisfaction by doing the geaneology of the many Daniel Henwoods living in Warleggon and St. Neot nearby, the Henwoods go back to Quethiock also nearby in Cornwall. good luck Jacquie White,( they are my ancestors.)

    ReplyDelete