Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

1841 Census in England-Henwood Search

In 1841 there were 1,056 Henwoods listed.
In Hampshire County there were 93 living there.
Out of those, there was one Henry age 5 b: 1836. So I looked for another Henry born in Hampshire but living out of the county.

I wanted to find Henry Henwood b: 1827 Basingstoke, Hampshire County, England.

On the 1841 census I found another Henry Henwood born in 1826. That's as close as I could find. He was born in Cornwall, 15 years old and living in London. He was a labourer working in a copper mine. Cornwall is where the village of Henwood is. This is the first connection that I have and that's just a possibility. Our records say differently, so this may not be our Henry.

How different then life was for a 15 year old. Working in a copper mine must have been horrid.
On this website I found 1,056 Henwoods. It was a very common name. They all came up within seconds.

On ancestry.com I did get an 1841 census that found our Henry in Basingstoke. He was living with a schoolmaster and his family as a pupil and was 14 years old. For some reason he did not appear on this new website listing. How lucky he was to be in school. I haven't a clue as to why he was boarding with this family. I hope his parents hadn't died.

Reference: http://www.ukcensusonline.com/free-search.php?fn=&sn=Henwood&search_string=&sns_year_list=1841&sns_county_list=all&sp=9
http://www.ancestry.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment