Search This Blog

Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Must Be a Relative in Prison: Charles Henwood

Oh oh. There are lots of Charles Henwoods on our tree. I just found another one in prison.
Charles Henwood had a trial on October 14, 1851 in Kingston, Surrey, England and was imprisoned. He was charged with stealing from a person.. I don't know how long he was in prison but they also had a choice of fining him or whipping him besides imprisonment. He received 6 cab m......, and I don't know what that was, 6 months, years, or whippings. I believe it could be a Charles born in 1830, making this person only 21 years old. He was the son of Henry and Sarah Henwood. I could be wrong, but it is a Charles Henwood that fits the timeframe. He was born in Basingstoke, a place I have found many Henwoods.

Surrey has a population of approximately 1.1 million people today. The historic county town is Guildford, although the county administration was moved to Newington in 1791 and to Kingston upon Thames in 1893.

The interesting thing is that my children's grandfather was Charles Henwood born in Surrey. He would never steal from anyone. He was a very honest man, a carpenter and gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment